Last Updated on 2 weeks by Admin
The Church of God in Christ USA is the largest Pentecostal denomination in the United States, with over 6.5 million members and 12,000 churches. It is also the largest African-American Pentecostal denomination in the world.
The COGIC was founded in 1897 by Charles Harrison Mason, a former Baptist minister. Mason was influenced by the Holiness movement, which emphasized the doctrine of entire sanctification, or a second work of grace that cleanses the believer from all sin. The COGIC also teaches the baptism in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues.
The COGIC is a hierarchical denomination, with a system of bishops, elders, and local pastors. The highest authority in the COGIC is the General Assembly, which meets every four years to elect the presiding bishop and other leaders.
The COGIC is known for its lively worship services, which often include singing, dancing, and speaking in tongues. The denomination is also active in social ministries, such as education, healthcare, and community development.
The COGIC’s beliefs are based on the Bible, and the denomination’s doctrine is summarized in its Statement of Fundamental Truths. These truths include the following:
- The Bible is the inspired word of God and the supreme authority for all matters of faith and practice.
- Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the only Savior of the world.
- Salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone.
- Baptism is a believer’s immersion in water in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- The Lord’s Supper is a symbolic observance of the body and blood of Jesus Christ.
- The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity, and He is present in the lives of believers.
- Sanctification is a second work of grace that enables believers to live holy lives.
- The Second Coming of Jesus Christ is imminent.
The COGIC is a growing denomination, and it has over 6.5 million members in the United States and around the world. The denomination is involved in a wide range of ministries, including evangelism, education, and social justice.
The COGIC is a significant force in African-American culture and society. The denomination has produced many prominent leaders, including civil rights activist Jesse Jackson and gospel singer Kirk Franklin. The COGIC also has a strong presence in the arts, and it has produced many renowned musicians, singers, and dancers.
The COGIC is a vibrant and diverse denomination that is committed to spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ. The denomination is also involved in a wide range of ministries that are designed to make a positive impact on the world.
List of Christian Denominations in USA
- Conservative Congregational Christian Conference
- Reformed Catholic Church
- Church of God Cleveland
- North American Baptist Conference
- Church of God Holiness
- African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
- Congregational Holiness Church
- International Pentecostal Holiness Church
- Christian Reformed Church in North America
- United Pentecostal Church International
- Christian Union
- Church of God Anderson
- Alliance of Baptists
- Association of Free Lutheran Congregations
- Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
- Congregational Methodist Church
- Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church
- Full Gospel Baptist Church Fellowship
- National Baptist Convention of America
- Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
- American Baptist Association
- Mennonite Church USA
- Progressive National Baptist Convention
- International Church of the Foursquare Gospel
- Reformed Episcopal Church
- Pentecostal Church of God
- Pentecostal Assemblies of the World
- Missionary Church
- Bible Fellowship Church
- Evangelical Free Church of America
- Independent Baptist
- Reformed Church in America
- Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
- Orthodox Presbyterian Church
- Disciples of Christ church
- Orthodox Church in America
- Worldwide Church of God
- Brethren Church
- National Baptist Convention
- Evangelical Covenant Church
- Christian and Missionary Alliance
- African Methodist Episcopal Church
- Evangelical Presbyterian Church
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Church of God of Prophecy
- Church of the Brethren
- Presbyterian Church in America
- Churches of Christ
- United Church of Christ
- Roman Catholic Church
- Southern Baptist Convention
- Seventh-day Adventist Church
- United Methodist Church
- Calvary Chapel
- Church of the Nazarene
- Assemblies of God
- The Episcopal Church